Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Boomer Draws

Boomer Draws
by: Bill Trantham
I was surprised to hear that the term "baby boomer" officially refers to anyone born between 1945 and 1965. I resist this view, admitting to a bit of mild subcultural chauvinism. My personal limit for admittance into this dubious cliche is 1955. Don't ask me why; I simply feel that people nearer in age to my children than to me belong in their own generational club.
As an artist, I find that my work is influenced to a great degree by my "boomer" ties. This is particularly noticeable in the subject matter I choose to draw. It seems that nothing much that has happened in the world since about 1969 really touches me, rings my emotional bell. For instance; I recently drew two car caricatures for two different clients. One was of a late model Mustang and the other a 1957 Corvette. I did a fair rendition of the Mustang and the client was happy with his drawing. However, the drawing I did of the 'Vette was something extra special; it seemed to breathe! I truly believe that the Mustang, although technically sound, lacked the heart and soul that I had been able to draw into the little Corvette. This has happened often recently and I think I know why. Odd that a reference from another generation's movie, The Breakfast Club comes to mind as I ponder this. "When you grow up, your heart dies," said the reclusive dark-headed girl in the detention group. The others nodded in silent agreement. And, I have to admit, so did I. I fear that somewhere along the way my heart, too, has died, at least a little. And that the only way I can revive it is to focus on one or more of the visual icons of that earlier era and allow my fuzzy memories and suppressed emotions to guide my hands a bit. I find that the best art has a heart.
Bill Trantham is a retired mental health counselor working at home drawing caricatures via his website.http://www.sillybill.com

No comments: