Friday, July 20, 2007

Guy's Dream Car


Guy's Dream Car
by: Bill Trantham
The order for a custom car caricature drawing seemed, at first, unremarkable. It was anything but. In fact, interest in 1967 Shelby GT 500's got quite a boost from that Nicholas Cage movie, "Gone In 60 Seconds". The client even asked for the name, "Eleanor" to show in the drawing somewhere. It wasn't until further e-mail conversations that I learned how special this order would be.
The client was ordering the car drawing for a friend who was in the final stages of some virulent form of cancer and wasn't expected to be with us much longer. The inflicted man, Guy, was a serious car buff and was having an actual 1967 GT 500 restored to look like the car used in the movie. It had become quite evident that the restoration would never be completed in time.
This drawing was to be a kind of consolation gift; substituting for the real thing. Needless to say, I was adamant in my effort to make it worthy of the occassion. I've never worked so hard on a drawing in my life and still can't help feeling that it could've been better. I sent the final scanned image for approval and Guy's friend assured me that he would love it. I put the original in the mail, yesterday. I haven't slept well since. I asked that I me notified after Guy gets his gift so I will know, once and for all, if my work met his expectations; came even remotely close to his dream. I hope that Guy gets a cool place in Heaven where there are endless miles of beautiful blacktop roads and he can spend all enternity cruising the celestial highways in his perfectly restored, ultra-bitchin, 1967 Shelby GT 500 Mustang.
Bill Trantham http://www.drawville.com

No comments: